Monday, August 19, 2013

A Great Day

Sunday was a great day.  One of the highlights for me was the Darrel family visiting with us.  This is the couple who lost their 9 year old son, Jordan, to drowning a few weeks ago.  Being that the funeral was in our building, I know their minds were flooded with the memories of that day.  When Bill started leading the song "I Am Mine No More", tears began to flow from this struggling father's eyes.  That afternoon he and I were texting each other and he told me something that is even further proof God is in control of the outcome of my sermons.  He said, "Good lesson today and yes, I thought about him through most of it. The grief can be overwhelming at times. If anything ever epitomized doing the hard things, this is it for sure."  The sermon was focused on doing the hard things in your service to God, but my belief is God's Spirit took that lesson and spoke to this father on an even deeper level.  Please pray for Ray and Kara Darrel.  Pray for strength, the love and grace of God, and that they may find His family at this church.  Pray for me that I may be able to find the words to make a difference in their lives and lead them to the Chief Shepherd.

I would like to thank all of you who came around and greeted our visitors Sunday.  Most of you had no idea who the Darrel family was when they came through our doors.  We usually have no idea what brings visitors to our worship service.  It's easy to assume they came because of a friend or they are vacationing in the area, but I find that many people in the community come because of a need, a hurt, or a longing for something greater.  Keep that in mind each week when you see new faces.  Your friendly face may be the very thing that helps them through another day.  Most importantly help them find the Prince of Peace so they can encounter the Spirit of Peace.

It was also encouraging to me to hear the many kind words about the Bible class.  There is something that fascinates us about fallen angels intermarrying human women and having giant children (my opinion) that keeps us on the edge of our seats!  It was a longer study for me than normal but also enjoyable.  I am planning to write out both views and corresponding Scriptures from the study.  I had a few people ask me about notes and verses after the class and some requests on Facebook in other places (I had posted the topic that morning).  So if you are interested let me know and I will make sure you get a copy.  Because of the length of the research I wasn't really able to put it down in written form.  I was working from scribbled notes, highlighted research, and memory to present it in class.  I'm not exactly sure when I can have it out, as this will be a very busy week trying to get ready to speak multiple times at a conference all next week on personalities.  But I will get it out ASAP.

Speaking of personalities, I want to thank many of you for your comments about the sermon.  The idea of serving isn't the most popular subject, but one we are called to fulfill.  We can get comfortable in our "going to service" rather than serving.  Sunday night, the elders will be discussing upcoming opportunities to live out a life of service.  Be here.  I am very excited about the things coming up.

Do not wait for Sunday night to find ways to serve in the name of Christ.  Check up on our sick, shut-ins, or anyone in the church who may be hurting.  Do good for the people you meet this week.  Think outside of yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment