Monday, August 17, 2015

One More Week

We are down to the last week of our Amazing Jesus sermon series.  The fact is, the death and resurrection of Christ would have been a great place to end.  The story never gets old and the longer I linger on the facts the softer my heart becomes.  The love and grace of God is just amazing!  This Sunday we will conclude with the "Amazing Restoration" of Peter (Jn. 21).  It is one of my favorite stories of Jesus.

So what's next?  Starting the first week in September, we will begin a new series called I Quit.  Next week I will give a more detailed account of our study.  (I had a really nice picture to place here, but for a second week in a row, my blog site isn't downloading my pictures.  I am in contact with the company hoping to get the problem fixed.)

Back to the news.  Everyone is doing such a good job with our new song "Shout Hallelujah."  What a great song of praise!  We are fortunate, not only to have talented song leaders, but also a group of Christians who participate in our song service.  If you ever want to learn more about singing parts or you want more singing on Sundays, David Brooker has a singing class on Sunday evenings at 4:15.  They would love to have you.

Moving on to Sunday night.  Joel Soumar did a great job giving a presentation of the youth work week.  I was fortunate enough to observe this group last week.  They worked hard and played hard.  It is encouraging, for the present and future of this church, being around them.  One week doesn't begin to define all they do in a year for others.  By the way, the starting quarterback for our high school is none other than Mike Dean.  For all you Gator fans, he reminds me of Tim Tebow.  For you FSU fans, he is built like a rock who can also throw a football and loves Jesus.

Sunday night also showcased our children's program.  The work David Paladin and his team of teachers put in every year is impressive.  And the kids... isn't it encouraging to see how much they learn?  Yesterday we had a couple visiting from out of town.  They brought their grandchild to our children's room (The Aquarium).  The lady made a sarcastic, judgmental and inappropriate remark about our kids program.  She said, "Do they just play or do they actually get a Bible lesson?"  If she could have been there Sunday night I believe she would have changed her mind (maybe).  She didn't like the look of the room, but it is an important part of the process of the kids learning.  Children get excited about coming.  As for her grandchild, I asked him later how he enjoyed class, his face lit up and he told me he loved it!  As a parent, I love it.

As for our teachers, I appreciate all of them.  We had our annual "Teacher of the Year" award and it went to Brittany Wells.  A couple of years ago she was in our youth group.  She has been so dedicated to the program.  The "Work Horse" award went to Rachel Leon, another one of our young adults.  The future is bright for this church.  I know of places where the "young adults" are in their 50's.  I hear of places that are disillusioned by their 20 somethings because they will not get involved.  We are blessed.  Yet, we have so many others, of varying ages, who help out with our children.  It is a beautiful thing to watch.  Let's keep it going.

As for our adult classes, we appreciate everyone who teaches.  This quarter we have seen everything from a young adult (Matt Woodson) to the really old (Joe Wild).  Seriously, we have had many help teach.  We appreciate them all, although I get this feeling that I may be hearing from Joe.  As far as the next quarter, beginning in September, here is the lineup.
  • Sunday morning - Being in a World Obsessed with Doing - Steven Wilson
  • Wednesday night - The Journey's (Paul's missionary journeys) - Tracy Moore
Let's finish.  Wake up each morning with an appreciation for the sacrifice of the Son of God made for our sins.  It is humbling.  Then walk the rest of your day in the resurrection of Jesus.  It is here we find the hope needed to make it through the trials and difficulties before us.  It is here we find genuine joy and inner peace of the Spirit.  I love Jesus.  I want other people to know about Him.  Isn't He amazing!?

No comments:

Post a Comment