Monday, July 13, 2015

Monday Morning Report - St. Thomas Edition

Here is my view this morning as I begin my blog.  From my balcony.

 
Not my typical blog spot.  It is one of those once in a lifetime moments that you never want to forget.  This place is so spiritually invigorating.  The lectureship is icing on the cake.  It is one of the times I am glad I get up early because no one is out of their rooms.  It's like having the resort to yourself.  Sunday morning I went to the terrace overlooking the city across the water just me, my Bible, a cup of coffee, and God.  Here was my view.  The Lord knows I need these moments of silence while surrounded by His amazing creation.

Our group arrived safely Saturday afternoon.  We were greeted at the airport by the Christians in St. Thomas.  We were given bags with snacks and cold juices.  The best part was the friendly smiles and kind words from the people.  It is a big deal for your island to be chosen for the lectures.  To them it is like being selected to host the Olympics.

The banner in the airport

The welcoming committee

We checked into the resort, ate supper together, and went through registration.  We all received two nice bags with tourist items and lectureship information.  And yes, we were greeted with big smiles.  This is my third year so I get hugs!  The rest of the group will get them before the end of the week.  Caribbean people are some of the nicest people in the world.  They genuinely love you.

Supper Saturday evening

Sunday at the lectures is always interesting.  We begin with singing (which is the best), listen to our first speaker, take a 15 minute break, have more singing, Lord's Supper, and another Sermon.  I know it sounds like the typical Sunday but when we look to the right we can see these big windows overlooking the island.  Amazing.

Singing

Scripture reading by one of the boys

Communion
 
The view
 

After worship the hotel provided lunch for everyone attending the lectures.  It was delicious!  And again, look at that view.



After that we had free time until the nightly lectures.  We were going to go into town but everything is closed on Sunday's.  It was sort of a bummer because we were looking forward to seeing the shops but also encouraging because Sunday is still a sacred day in other parts of the world.

Sunday night is always crazy at the lectures.  It begins with opening ceremonies.  Many speeches, guest speakers, national anthem (which was ours this year), etc. etc. etc.  It's long.  Imagine what it would be like for a bunch of preachers and politicians getting up to speak.  It is encouraging hearing the senator of the island, head of tourism, and hotel representative talk about God.  After that we had some singing, and a lecture.  After another prayer, song, and introduction we go into the second speaker.  It was a LONG night.  We came into the banquet room at 7 pm and didn't leave until almost 10 pm.  But again, we only had to look to the right and see the town lit up from our seats.  Beautiful.

Last night at the lectures (2nd sermon)

The view from the window (it doesn't do it justice)
 
The founder of the Lectures - Ken Dye (45 years strong)

The senator of the island

As I am finishing this blog I can hear the singing get started.  It's time for another full day.  We will have many class choices this morning and another sermon before we break for lunch.  After lunch our group has a tour of the city and hopefully some time to rest.  Then we come back again at 7 pm for more singing and two more sermons.  By the time we leave we will be physically and emotionally broken down, but we will have already begun our process of spiritual revival.  We will all leave with new friends and hug and talk about seeing next year in Tobago.  It's what we do.  The singing is one of my favorite times and the preaching is great, but it is the Caribbean people that keep coming back every year.  I love these people and they love me.  Those coming for their first time will tell you the same.

One more thing.  I received an email during your worship yesterday telling me what an amazing job Joel Soumar.  By the afternoon I had heard from others.  Sometimes I feel guilty being away like this.  I know I need it but I just love my church family at Vero and hate to be away.  Knowing Joel (and David), will be there to serve you gives me a sense of peace.  Tell these guys how much you appreciate them this week.  David also covered my Sunday morning class.

Ok enough, I've got to get into the lectures.  I can't wait to get back and share the things I learned and experienced.  If you are trying to get in touch with me via text I'm not getting them, but you can send messages to my email tracylmoore@msn.com.  See you Sunday.

Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment