Monday, July 27, 2015

Bella

 
 

If you haven't heard, my little girl was baptized Sunday morning, which is why my blog this week is called Bella.  If someone sang off key, I don't remember.  If someone said something mean-spirited, I didn't hear it.  If I made mistakes in my sermon, I didn't catch it.  My girl was baptized.  That is what I remember about yesterday.  So for Missy and I, July 26th was a great day.

Although one thing I said I thought about later.  No one said anything to me, but I'm not sure how it came across.  I'm referring to the statement of "denying" Bella baptism for the last couple of years.  First of all, salvation is a personal issue between an individual and God.  The Lord never made me the judge of those who should be saved or not.  That being said, as a parent, you know your children better than anyone.  You know where they are in understanding, maturity, and even motives.  Sometimes kids get caught up in the idea of baptism.  Although, it didn't stop me from using these opportunities to help further her growth and love for Jesus.  I believe children are innocent.  At some point they reach, what I have heard called, "the age of accountability".  Not a biblical phrase, but we know their has to be a sense of faith and turning away from sin.  So what is the "age of accountability"?  It depends on the child.  Over the years I have talked with adults who want to be rebaptized because they didn't think they knew what they were doing when they were young.  We will talk and ultimately I will rebaptize them if they still feel strongly about it.  My philosophy is, if they didn't need it they just got wet.

FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH: If you have a children who want to be baptized here are a few things I have learned with having children.  First of all, ask lots of questions.  Such as, "Why do you want to be baptized?"  If they say "to wash away my sins", then ask what sins they have committed.  Don't let them be general about sin.  Sometimes they will talk about the sins of others.  These are good indicators of where they may be at this time.  Secondly, don't discourage them.  Don't make them feel like their answers are wrong.  They are being honest.  Encourage them.  The last thing you want to do is drive them away from future talks.  Next, talk to them about Jesus... always.  Whenever that time comes, you want your children to be in love with Jesus not an act.  Read some of those great stories in the Gospels.  I begin in Genesis.  Those years Bella wasn't ready, we talked about what happened in the Garden of Eden, the faith of Abraham, and the nation that brought Jesus into the world.  Finally, when the time came, I wrote down everything we talked about, Scriptures we read and put her answers in quotation marks to show what was asked and how she answered.  In my experience, those who want to be rebaptized do so because they can't remember what they were taught and conclude they didn't know what they were doing.  I had Bella sign her name to what we studied.  I am going to give her a copy and keep one for myself in case she questions this day later on.  Also, we are planning to add other Scriptures and topics we study.  It is important you continue study with your child about the Father, Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit, faith, love, sin, grace, etc.  I told Bella Saturday night, "Baptism is the beginning, not the end."  That being said, I'm not perfect on this subject.  There are things I am doing with Bella that I have learned with my other kids and years of ministry.  Some of you have done much greater things.  This is just one father sharing his experience with other parents.  Besides, it is their mother who has always been the spiritual rock.  Sometimes I feel like the guy who drove the last 5 miles of a 500 mile trip.  Most importantly, it is the Lord who deserves all the credit.  Missy and I are mere instruments in His hands.

This is one of the pages Bella signed for the future

SOMETHING NEAT: When Bella was ready to do this, I asked her who she would like to go up with her.  The first people out of her mouth, beside Missy, were Ethel Meadows and Helen Rathel.  She mentioned a couple of her friends but it was these older ladies she thought of first.  Sometimes our elderly wonder if they can impact the church today or the younger generation.  I'm here to tell you they/you do!  So why these ladies?  They included her.  When they would arrive early to prepare the Lord's Supper, it was these two who allowed Bella to help.  They loved her.  They encouraged her.  They didn't sit back and expect to be admired, because they were older, but they engaged Bella.  They didn't act annoyed when she acted like... well... a child.  It doesn't mean they never corrected or helped her improve, but they made many deposits of love that built a trust and respect.  It reminds me of the passage in Titus 2 of the older women training the younger women.  Bella loves the "Golden Girls".  She has mentioned Rebecca Ledford, Christin Paladin, Bible class teachers, etc.  These are people who have invested into her life.  Missy and I feel blessed to be at church where Bella has so many Christian ladies who influence her.  On behalf of Missy and myself - thank you!

Sunday was a great way to launch me into the week.  I have been out of pocket the last couple of weeks.  This isn't something I like doing but scheduling was tough.  The Caribbean Lectures were two weeks ago.  Which reminds me, this Sunday night we will do some singing and give a report on our trip.  And yes, we have Bob Brackett pictures you will want to see.  Wear your favorite Caribbean clothing.  Last week I spent a few days in Jacksonville, Florida to celebrate my parents 50th anniversary.  There were 19 of us crammed into a six bedroom house.  The house itself was 100 years old.  I can't remember seeing my mom and dad so happy.  Here is a picture of the family.


And then there was this... the "80th birthday party" for two 40 year olds.

 
Bill being Bill

George Blanton with the photobomb

 

Next Sunday: We begin the last month of our sermon series by looking into the fact Jesus was "Amazingly Unpredictable."  Just another reason to love this Savior.  I will stop here because I know I've gone beyond the average attention span.  Thank you for letting me share this time in my life.

Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment