Friday, June 26, 2015

Father's Day Extra

Here are the other responses that were not read Sunday.  I had asked people to tell one thing about their dad that amazed them.  By the way, I don't know who wrote them as we receive these surveys anonymously.

"Playing wiffle ball in our front yard was a common evening activity for us when we were little.  All of the normal baseball rules applied, except for a few extras - if you stood on the plate while batting, it was an out; and if you threw your bat (instead of dropping it) when you got a hit, it was an out.  When we started little league softball/baseball, none of us ever had to be taught not to stand on or too close to the plate while hitting, and the on-deck batters were never in danger of getting hit with our bat as we threw it after getting hit.  It wasn't until I was a little older that I understood why my dad added those extra outs in wiffle ball.  It was easy learning when we thought they might result in outs!  Planning and thinking ahead is a trait that has always impressed me about my dad (possibly because it does not at all come naturally to me.)  This is just a simple story, but it shows that even when we don't realize it, my dad is usually thinking ahead of the rest of us."

"My Grandpa could do everything.  And he was always doing something, making cast net, fixing a car, or building an addition onto a home.  Grandpa was also frequently in the kitchen helping Grandma create the next meal too.  Early every morning, as soon as the train sounded, he would be the first person up and start the coffee brewing before breakfast.  He loved to fish and with his freshly-caught bounty from the Indian River, we had many family meals over a Fish Fry dinner.  As far as I knew, there was nothing he couldn't do, even make my Grandma a little coo-coo. :)"

"To say dad is amazing is an understatement!  One example I treasure about my dad is his example of being a Godly husband.  Most parents put their kids on a pedestal and he always made sure we knew that was mom's place, not ours.  I must say, as a kid, I didn't always care for the reminder.  But now as an adult, it's engraved in me and I appreciate it so much today.  I'm looking forward to 'irritating' my kids one day when letting them know their requests are not number one ;)  Thanks, dad, for that example!"

"Growing up we played a lot of wiffle ball in our front yard.  One night while playing my brother (who was probably 6 at the time) got a nose bleed.  My dad stopped the game and immediately took him inside.  They both returned a few minutes later, my brother with cotton balls stuck up each nostril, and we continued the game like nothing happened.  My dad was always very good at keep his priorities in line. :)"

Thanks to everyone who participated.

No comments:

Post a Comment