Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Back from the Keys

Since March, I have been reading the Gospels as many times as possible.  The goal: to know Jesus better.  There isn't a parable or miracle that is unfamiliar, but I am looking for something more - to engage all my senses into these stories.  To put myself into the sandals of those first century witnesses.  After the first few weeks of reading a theme developed - the people were absolutely blown away by Jesus.  Even before they understood He was the Son of God.  Even those who were only looking for a handout.  Even those who wanted to kill Him.  And certainly those who believed.  What was it about Jesus that amazed them?  It was a variety of things, from what they saw, heard, felt, etc.  All the senses were engaged.  I want to feel that too.  I want to know what they knew.  For five days I was been able to relax in the Florida Keys with no deadlines or work related issues.  My phone on vibrate and the daily alarms turned to off.  After a few days my mind relaxes.  Now I can really sink into a book.  A simple pace with times of reflection while surrounded by one of God's most beautiful creation.  I didn't even finish the Book of Mark.  There is still much to be learned, but enough to be amazed by this Savior.  I cannot wait to get back in the pulpit Sunday.  This week we will be studying a fathers encounter with Jesus.  Amazing!

Speaking of fathers, this Sunday is Father's Day.  Invite your dad, children, or grandchildren, to worship with you this week.  Take them out to a nice lunch or enjoy a meal together at home.  I enjoyed spending some time with my children this week.  When we moved here, over six year ago, all my kids were home and took vacation with us.  Now, we are squeezing in a shorter vacation to take advantage of Lex being home before he leaves for Africa.  Noah is back in Alabama working a couple of jobs and unable to attend.  We only have two children left in the nest.  Time flies, but I enjoy these moments.  I am 44 years old and cherish the moments I have with my dad.  I'm blessed.

Ok, that's enough.  Preachers get all mushy after a few days of R&R.  So I will end with a few pictures from the trip.




I will save you the other 500 pictures from the trip.  Lex isn't pictured in the family photo because he stayed back at the house and worked on a school paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment