Tuesday, January 13, 2015

The Bearded Preacher Debate


WARNING: This is not intended to be a serious blog.  This is one of those lighter moments of ministry - the bearded preacher debate.  I have been growing beards since I was in high school.  Over the last couple of years I have participated in the "No Shave November" to raise awareness for men's health.  It is the manly version of wearing pink during October, which is also for a good cause.

In 23 years of ministry, I've noticed the bearded preacher has always been a topic of debate.  The first few years it bothered me, and to be honest, some people were down right mean about their opinions.  For example, "Would you like for me to get you a cat to lick that fuzz off your face?" or "Did you lose your razor?" or "You need to shave that junk off!" and even "Preachers shouldn't have beards."  People are either not as mean spirited as they were 20 years ago, or I have tougher skin (maybe a little of both).  I laugh at most of the comments and some are down right amusing.  A recent favorite came from a group of the ladies at church.  Evidently my beard became the topic of discussion at one of their lunches and took a vote.  One of the "delegates" let me know they had voted for me to shave me beard.  Again, I refer you back to my first statement and the fact this in no way offended me (nor was that their intent).  It is amusing how many comments a bearded preacher can receive, and not all of it is negative.  Many like to tell me how much they like it.  In the community I get even more positive.  I can be pumping gas, walking around in the grocery store or mall and people will come right up and tell me they like my beard.  Most are people I have never met - women and men alike.  This is coming from a guy who shaves his head!  My shiny head has never received so much attention (I guess they know there isn't a lot I can do about most of it).

The bearded preacher has been around for centuries.  This may seem odd because of all the attention he gets when hair begins to develop on his face.  You could say, this was popular when the church was established.  No Polaroid pictures (that I know of).  Most notable is the prophecy of Jesus Christ.  (Isa. 50:6)  Of course, Aaron's beard, the first high priest, is mentioned (Ps. 133:2).  In Biblical times, the beard was considered a thing of honor.  In II Samuel 10, King Hanun had taken a servant of David, shaved off half his beard, and cut a hole in his robe to expose his buttocks to insult him (that ought to do it). You didn't mess with a man's beard!  Move forward several centuries, the Restoration Movement had some seriously bearded preachers.  Take a look at only a few:

Raccoon John Smith
(They even had cool names)
 
James A. Harding
(Yes, the one named after Harding University)

W.T. Moore
(I must be related - no hair on top but can grow a nice beard)

J.W. McGarvey
(Not really my style but a good writer)

Of course, it could be said, none of these guys are smiling in the picture.  Although it is hard to tell with a couple of them.  Either way, it was more than just a style for some.  Check out this quote by Charles Spurgeon.


Ok, he takes it a little further than the preachers I know.  Personally, I like this quote better:

 
 
As I get ready to conclude, I will attempt to answer the many questions I am asked when I grow a beard.
 
"How long do you plan to keep your beard?"  -I don't know
"How long do you plan for your beard to grow?" -I don't know
"Does your wife like it?" -Not particularly but she is fine with it
"Does your beard poke her when you kiss?"  -Yes
"Does your beard itch?" -Mostly the first few weeks but rarely when it gets this long
"Do you color your beard?" -Yes, may I ask you if you color your hair?

"Are you trying to look like the guys in Duck Dynasty?" -No, but I love the show
"Are you going to join a motorcycle gang?" -No, but I do miss my motorcycle
"Do you ever get food stuck in your beard?" -Not to my knowledge
"Why do you like having a beard?" -Not all men can grow a good beard.  It gives me sense of accomplishment to grow hair somewhere besides my ears.  And, I feel manly (don't judge me)
"Do you think men who don't have beards are not manly?" -No, John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Bear Bryant nor Rambo had beards (although Chuck Norris did).
 
 
Ok, that is all I can think of right now.  However, feel free to ask me any questions about my beardedness.  As I stated in the beginning, this isn't written to send a message or to give you the impression someone has been out of line asking me about my beard.  Just some fun facts.  Hope you enjoyed this blog as much as I did writing it.
 
The Bearded Preacher (currently)
Tracy

1 comment:

  1. Are you aware that you have written zero books since you grew your beard - that is 100% less than you did before you grew it!!!! I surmise that your beard is killing brain cells. :) - enjoyed the article.

    ReplyDelete