Monday, May 20, 2013

A Very Sore Monday

A few things I am thankful for this Monday morning - aspirin, ice packs, and coffee.  After playing with some of the teens and young adults, in what seemed to be endless games of basketball, I am moving slowly.  I've gotten so old I twisted my ankle and didn't realize how bad it was until I got home and took off my shoes.  Luckily I have a brace for almost every part of my body.  The positive: playing ball with a good group of guys.  No cussing, no fights, no over-competitive attitudes.  There was some trash talking, ok that was me, but getting into their heads is my best defense.  I have to make up for several years of "old school" basketball.  I love the young people in this church and cherish every opportunity to spend time with them.

Speaking of young people, we had two young couples in the Coffee Connection this week.  One repeat, and the other came for the first time.  Both have children three and under.  They are all excited about this church.  It is sad to think next Sunday is our last Coffee Connection for the summer.  Let's make sure we welcome all of our guests and take the time to buy their lunch or meet for coffee at another time.  People are looking for connection.

You may be wondering why we are taking a break from Coffee Connection.  For one, when the decision was made we were not having enough visitors attending.  Secondly, I will begin a new Sunday morning class on a very important subject - "In the Beginning...".  This is a great class for Christians and non-believers alike.

Speaking of opportunities, this Thursday is the first of our Rockin' Seniors game day.  It will begin at 10 am in the Coffee Shop.  How long it lasts depends on those who come.  Some may want to bring their own lunch and keep playing.  Others may want to go out for lunch.  Either way, togetherness is the key theme.  Also, ANYONE can attend.  The ministers are planning to take out some time and we encourage anyone who wants to spend some time with some of the greatest people I know - our senior adults.  Believe me, they know how to have fun.  Personally I'm looking for someone to play Skipbo or Rook, maybe even some dominoes.  Bring games you would like to play or just show up and hang out.

More summer announcements will be revealed soon.  Also, don't forget to check on those who usually sit around you or you know is in the hospital, sick, or going through a difficult time.

No comments:

Post a Comment