Monday, April 22, 2013

Joel Rocks!

It has been five months since I wasn't delivering a sermon on a Sunday morning.  To say it was a nice break is an understatement, especially in the midst of a long series.

First, let's talk about Joel Soumar for a moment.  He is our scooter riding, board game playing, car fixing, duct tape creating, youth minister.  The guy can hardly spell his name (much like myself) but he can deliver a sermon.  I personally know of the hard work he put into it.  Joel is an intelligent thinker with a tremendous amount of common sense and maturity.  He is constantly analyzing his work and looking for ways to improve.  Most importantly, Joel loves the Lord.  You can see it in how he treats our young people.  We are very fortunate to have Joel on staff.

Back to his preaching.  There is no greater thrill than to get a call from my wife saying, "If we had visitors, they would never know Joel wasn't the pulpit minister."  Someone sent a message through Melissa, "Tell Tracy he better hurry back or Joel may take his place."  This person was not being ugly, in fact, it is the kind of comments I like to hear when I'm gone.  I love this church, therefore, I want the best for her.  The last thing I want to hear is, "it was a down day without the preacher."  It's not about me, nor do I ever want it to be that way.  The work must go on despite who is in the pulpit.  Thank you Joel and Ann for all you bring to this church.

Back to my weekend.  Me and the boys traveled to Tuscaloosa to see our favorite team play in their annual Spring game.  We attended Alabama's softball game on Friday night, ate at Dreamland Bar-B-Q, put down some Krispy Kreme donuts, spent some time with my parents, grandmother, sister and uncle, and ate a feast prepared by my mother and grandmother (fried chicken and baked ham).  The boys enjoyed getting several autographs of players and getting their picture made with Katherine Webb (model and girlfriend of our QB).  For me, I just enjoyed spending time with my boys and creating great memories.  I also enjoyed being with my dad, who taught me all there is about Alabama football.  We haven't sat at an Alabama game together since I was a teenager.  We were also blessed to spend some time with the McGee's, fellow Alabama fans, with whom we watch every game with during the Fall.  They also love Mamaw's cooking.  My grandmother will be 88 in May.  She is frail but still wants to feed me every meal.  In my family, this is one of the ways you know someone loves you.  As you can see, I'm very loved!

No comments:

Post a Comment