Monday, October 13, 2014

It's Monday, Monday

It is a busy Monday, Monday of things to report.  We will begin with Sunday happenings.  After several weeks, the kids in the Aquarium finally sang loud enough to interrupt my class, across the hall.  David Paladin, their leader, has asked me each week if I heard them, and each week I have said "no".  You could see the disappointment on his face.  But this week it finally happened.  If your children came home with sore throats and strained vocal cords... you know why.  More to come from this group.

Sunday worship was also a positive experience.  Great song service, a heartfelt talk about the Lord's Supper and the many prayers for one another.  Opal Powell came forward for prayers for her grandson, Stephen Brooks, and the fact he is going blind in one eye.  Stephen is a former member of this church who now lives in Hawaii.  This family has dealt with many loses over the last few years.  Continue to pray for them.  Along those same lines, Dewey Hall is also dealing with something similar with his eyes.  Vision is a beautiful gift of God.  Pray for each of these this week.

Let me also comment on my sermon from yesterday morning.  People continue to appreciate the topic.  Many of you have shared many kind words.  Although yesterday was some of my favorite.  One of my children came home and asked Missy, "Is dad going to sell Max?! (family dog)".  It is always good to keep your children on their toes.  Someone told me about another father who told his kids that he would sell them before he got rid of their dog.  One person went to an elder to ask, if they are not in debt can they still get their nails done?  And my favorite, and most frequent comment, "where can you get 12% interest?". As I said yesterday, I'm a sanguine, I don't do math, so the examples I used I found.  Either way, it was great listening to everyone.  This weeks sermon, "The Buck Starts Here".  I can't wait to hear what you have to say this Sunday!

On a sad note, Judy Gauntt lost her mother-in-law Doris Gauntt.  They were very close and she has taken care of her for a long time.  Funeral arrangements will be made today.  Do me a favor and send her a card.

Judy Gauntt
514 4th Place SW
Vero Beach, FL 32962

This weekend the children's ministry did a special day for the girls, G.A.L. (girls acting like ladies).  The Soops hosted a day of swimming and crafts for the girls.  Bella told me she had a great time.  I appreciate all the adults who helped out with this.  Look at these smiling faces.


I also want to give a shout out to Lisa Brackett.  She has been volunteering to help with our website and Facebook accounts.  She is really doing a great job with both of these.  Check out our website sometime verobeachchurchofchrist.org.  Also, those of you who follow the churches Facebook page, "share" upcoming events on your own site to spread the news.  Recently Lisa has been dealing with migraines again, so let's say a special prayer for her this week.

While we are on the topic of volunteers.  The ministers cannot thank the ladies who have been coming in each week to help out in the office - June Hansen, Ethel Meadows, Sue Mora, Helen Rathel, Gay Stanley and Teri Swinford.  If you have called the church office recently you have probably talked with one of these ladies.  Not only do they answer phones, but they check emails, compile lists, work on the computer, clean out clutter (although David's office is a challenge), fix us coffee, prepare our lunch, wash our feet (well maybe not those last few things).  Seriously, the greatest thing they do each week is come in with a smile on their faces.  David, Joel, and myself couldn't do it without them.

We have so many who need prayers and attention this week.  Please read your bulletin and watch for updates throughout the week to see a more complete list.  Think about those who may have missed seeing yesterday and give them a call or drop them a card.  Be patient with the people in our world and shine the light of Christ.  Be the church!

No comments:

Post a Comment