Monday, October 14, 2013

Good to Be Back!

Some of you asked about my trip to Oklahoma Christian.  First of all, it was great seeing my son.  Even though he had classes and responsibilities with his job, we were able to spend some quality time together.  One day he decided to go jogging with me.  Actually, my routine is jog a little and walk a lot.  But Lex decided to reverse what I normally do and almost killed me.  I will say the school has an awesome trail to exercise.  It was nice seeing all the trees turning into their Fall colors.  I love being on a Christian campus.  One morning I walked to the cafeteria to eat breakfast and had forgotten my billfold.  A student, that I had never met, heard me say I was going back to the dorm to get it when she came up and paid for my breakfast.  More strangers greeted me with a smile and a "hello" than I can remember.  It was refreshing, to say the least.  Oh, and then there were the lectures, which is the real reason I went to OCU.  Dale Jenkins spoke one day, and did a great job talking about evangelism and social media.  A favorite, Curt Niccum, spoke several times on the Book of Philippians.  Curt helped translate the Book of Daniel from the Dead Sea Scrolls.  He is brilliant and knows so much about a text.  Then on Wednesday I was able to interview a student for our summer intern position.  Very promising.  I won't bore you with all the details, only to say it was a great trip and I appreciate the congregation allowing me to go to things like this.

Yesterday was a very memorable day.  It was great to see the flock surround one of its shepherds to pray for Joe's upcoming surgery and battle with cancer.  I have witnessed our elders praying weekly for the people of this church.  To see each of you respond in this way was touching and no doubt gave Joe more encouragement than any of us can really comprehend.  Don't stop the prayers!

Also, I thought our singing yesterday was great.  We began a new series of lessons, "The Divine Compulsion", and talked about how our lives prove the will of God.  This week we will be looking at an area many Christians may not think about on this subject.  As I've researched the subject this past week I am really excited to get writing this morning.

One more thing.  Sunday night I was able to be involved in several things going on.  After sitting down and doing a brief study, I headed to "The Dock" to see all the people working to get this room ready for the children.  Seeing they had plenty of help, I headed to the room where several were writing cards.  I will have to say they were having a good time.  I looked into the parenting class and it was packed out as well as the class on getting a job.  There were other things going on, but these are a few that I was able to witness.  Exciting times.

This week check in on those who sit around you and missed.  If it has been a couple of weeks be sure to give them a call.  Pray for our sick and those having surgery this week.  And, as always, let the elders or staff know if someone needs extra attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment